Saturday, May 23, 2009

Training

I'm training for a 1/2 marathon..

our coach said we needed to keep a journal so here goes nothing.

It all began on May 15. My first official run of my training. It was actually pretty good, nothing to write home about. 3 miles in the park in the morning.

May 19 - Really hard and painful 3 (maybe) miles in the park and grease ally. Had to stop to walk several times because of leg pain. Ended up walking/running for 36 minutes. Never wanted to run ever again.

May 20 - 2 miles in the early morning. It was cold outside! Walked one and ran one since it was supposed to be my "easy" day.

May 21 - threw down 100 bones on a new pair of kicks and took them for a spin minutes later. Best run I've had in a LONG time. Fast 3 miles..best guess based on heartrate and stride, I was at about 9:45 mile.

May 23 (today) - Janes class at 8 in the morning. Our coach wanted us to really focus on slowing down our pace. She recommends that we run each mile 2 minutes SLOWER on the long runs (which will each take place on Saturdays). 2 minutes SLOWER is hard to do. It might be just as hard to adjust to as the faster run. Anyway, I did it. I did 4.2 miles in 50 minutes. I actually think I might have gone a little farther than 4.2 but who's counting.

I did like going slower today. I see what she means by taking it slow to get throught the run. I haven't run 4 miles in..um... years? A really long time. It felt great and I felt wonderful afterwards. I'm a bit sore this afternoon but I think (hope?) that's to be expected after a long run. It was a nice temperature this morning and there were a ton of runners out there. I love group runs and the comradarie of other runners. Even if you aren't running together, there's a nice sense of understanding among runners that I like.

Ok, so my journal is caught up. I'll now start journaling after every run. This blog is going to be oh.so.exciting.

Total: 15 Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment