Wednesday, August 12, 2009

6 is the new 5

Oy. 6 miles is the new "easy" run in the training plan on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. I always said I was only going up to 10 miles in the training run but I've done 10 miles. And like our running buddy said "once you go to 10, you can't go back!" so, I'm going up to 13 now. That means I have to run 6 the next two weeks. Two weeks, easy peasy.

We are in the homestretch now! I'm already thinking about the wonderful days of just running 4 miles during the week and maybe throwing in a 5 miler for good measure on the weekends. After this race, I'm planning to do a 10k at the end of September and a 5k at the beginning of October but other than that, I don't have anything planned. I'm sure I could get roped into a few races but I know once the cold weather comes, I will be not as willing to run as now. I hate cold weather. Hate.it. I really don't want to mess the good thing I have going though so maybe I should schedule a few races, even if they are just 5ks between now and the spring when it gets warm again? Hm..

Anyway, the 6-mile run on Tuesday was fine. Nothing about it really stood out as hard. I ended up waiting in the back of the pack with a girl I encouraged to come run with us. So, I was a little slower than I would have liked. But I felt bad leaving her since I talked her into the insanity of getting up early!

There was a point at around 3.5 that I took the time to think about how I was feeling and I remember thinking that there was not ONE sore part of my body. My legs were moving and I felt AWESOME. It was a nice experience.

Around 4.5, we were to split off to the "little park" to get in another .5 miles before our 1 mile stretch of GA to the end and my friend just kept straight which meant that I had 1.5 miles by myself. I didn't mind doing it but then I started thinking about all the freaky stuff that DOES happen in the parks and I got a little nervous. So I sped up until I could see my normal running partners in the distance. I knew if I knew they were there and I could see them, I could scream loud enough that they could hear me, should so crazy dude approach me.

So in the last 1.5 I just ran and did a lot of thinking. I had wonderful thoughts about KT and Will and just how blessed I feel to have them in my life. I know that's getting kind of deep for the running blog, but everything just seems so clear when I'm alone and can think without any distractions. My life is really great and I feel so unbelievably not worthy of all the good stuff. But, I'll take it while it lasts.

At the end of the run, I kicked it up a notch because I snapped out of my deep thoughts and wanted to get done at a respectable time. I felt good afterwards. It was hot as all get out, but fine all around.

Tomorrow, I need to remember to bring GU since 6 miles isn't 5 miles. Or 4. This is the real deal, y'all.

3.5 weeks until race day! Holy Shit!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment