Sunday, June 7, 2009

5 miles

Yesterday I met the group for our long run. Can I just say how much I'm loving this group of girls? So fun!

None of us did our homework for the week so Liz was a little mad at us and of course, I forgot this morning to take my resting heartrate. It's just hard when you hear "Mommy! Mooommmmyyy!!!" to remember that you need to do something besides drag out of bed to get the boy. Anyway, maybe tomorrow I'll remember.

After Coach Liz got over being mad at us, we took a group picture, warmed up and set out for our run. I had a 5-miler on my plan along with about 6 other ladies.

She's MAKING us go slow. Like, really slow. So, I did and boy was it hard! After the first mile though, I sort of got in the groove of the 12-minute mile and just went with it. I ended up running with a lady who has "run 1/2 marathon before turning 50" on her bucket list. She's really funny and a total grouch. She curses the entire time and is just funny. Luckily, she has a Garmin so I was able to know how fast we were going and how much farther we had to go.

We finished the 5 miles in 1 hour and 51 seconds and just kept going because we weren't at the end of the parking lot yet. I like running with her because she's anal like that just like me. So we totaled 5.2 miles in 1 hour, 4 minutes. Not too bad.

I admit that we started running harder at the end after getting up a few beast-like hills. But overall, we averaged the 12-minute pace and that's what we were supposed to do. Funny thing is, as much as I hate "going slow", I feel great. My legs haven't been hurting at all and I don't feel like I ran 5 miles yesterday. So maybe this running coach knows what she's talking about afterall? Glad I'm paying her the big bucks!

When I left there, I got a nice overwhelming feeling of happiness that I've met some great women so far and that we are ALL in this journey together. We are there to encourage one another and hold each other accountable. There's no doubt that this class is a great experience so far. I was even thinking.."gosh, I want to do a full marathon!"

I think that was the runner's high talking.

Total: 5 Miles

1 comment:

  1. LOL, I HOPE that was a runners high...b/c I am NOT trainingf or a full with you. PLUS, you need to get on the baby train! lol ;)

    Did you run w/ sharon?

    ReplyDelete