Sunday, June 21, 2009

6miles with a couple celebrities

Yeah, you read that right. We ran with two local celebrities on Saturday. Not like celebrities that you see on TV on Thursday night but running celebrities. The first was this guy. And the other was a dude who is running this race this weekend coming up. In case you are too busy to click, the first guy ran all the way across the Sahara Desert and the other guy is about to compete in a 100-mile ultramarathon. Awesome.

They were both totally nice and you never would have known you were with superstars. They were just like anyone else out there on a little morning run. I mean, besides EVERYONE knowing them, but whatever.

It was awesome and I'm thankful to our coach for arranging it.

But no matter how great they are, this is my blog, not theirs. And my 6 miles is not their 6 miles, so I'm done with that.

So, we didn't do the normal chit-chat at the beginning of this group run. Instead we warmed up and hit the pavement.

I'd gone to bed at 8:00 on Friday night because I wasn't feeling too good and was worried I wouldn't feel good on Saturday. So I showed up, a tad icky feeling and maybe a bit dizzy still and just went for it.

Luckily, my coach is totally correct in saying that the first mile or two might be the worst (it's different for everyone) but once you get those over, you get in your groove and you are good. She was right. I hated the first mile but after that, it was like "Whatever, I'm a runner!". We stopped for a good 5 minutes or so after 3 miles because we thought some peeps were lost and I forgot to stop my watch. So, I'm taking 5 minutes off the time I told Liz at the end of class.

Anyway, the hills in the parks are just plain stupid. Especially when it's HOT and HUMID and it's only 7 a.m.. I tried to walk a HUGE hill but 5 steps into the walk, I couldn't walk anymore, I had to run. I can't WALK! I need to RUN!

At 5 miles, we stopped to "GU" and then got going again. OMG. So tired. So so so so tired I was. I was running with a girl who had 7 miles to do (not my normal Tuesday and Thursday runnin' buddy) and she asked if I would go the extra mile with her. My response?

"Sorry, I can't. It's not you, it's me."

There was no way. I was SO tired and I think it was ALL because of the humidity. Because when I was done my 6 miles, I felt fine! Not winded, not tired really.

So, because of the way the run ended, I thought "good run! No big deal." I would NOT have said that at 5.5 miles but I guess that's why we get a runner's high? To forget how crappy we feel at small moments during the run?

This weekend I'm doing a 10k race here, provided I can get a sitter. Oh the drama.

Before that though, 4 miles Tuesday and Thursday with the Crazy girls at 5:45am. WOOT!

P.S. Got an awesome new Livestrong hat last week and wore it on Saturday. LOVE IT. Why have I been running sans hat this long? Really?

2 comments:

  1. I have to know...what's "GU"?? And what's up with the hat? You're growing your hair out?? I'm definitely out of the loop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on getting it done. Sorry I missed you all on sat...but I was def glad I did the 6 on Fri. Need to try to get out ther tonight w/ Liv.
    won't be there tomorrow AM. maybe will see you all on Thurs.

    ReplyDelete